Catch of the Day: Oven Baked Dhufish
Dec 18, 2023
Summer has arrived and one of the best local seafood to enjoy is the dhufish. Flaky, rich, delicate, and full of flavour, this local delicacy pairs well with a crisp white wine.
The dhufish season runs from December 16th through to the end of January where you’ll find local fishermen out on the waters catching the prized fish, including our winemaking crew Tom and Harry.
Here’s our take on a local summer dish, oven baked dhufish paired with our 2021 Wildberry Reserve Chardonnay, which compliments the powerful yet refined nature of the wine.
- Whole dhufish, cleaned and cut into thick fillets
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemons, sliced
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Verjuice (optional)
- Crisp white wine
- Double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Season the dhufish fillets with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a baking dish, layer sliced lemons. Place the fish on top, followed by another layer of lemon slices and chopped coriander. Optionally, splash verjuice around the dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, turning the fillets once.
- After removing the fish from the oven, deglaze the baking dish over heat with white wine. Add the juice of the lemon slices. Allow it to reduce slightly, then stir in double cream.
- Strain the sauce through a sieve to remove pits and any unwanted bits.
- Plate the baked dhufish and serve with a potato salad. Pour the lemon and coriander sauce over the fish.
- Enjoy with our 2021 Wildberry Reseve Chardonnay.
Note: Be mindful of the fish's cooking time to ensure it remains juicy and full of flavour. Adjust lemon juice according to taste preference."