Winter Solstice + Mulled Wine
Jun 19, 2023
Mulled wine, a traditional Christmas drink in Europe, has become increasingly popular as the go-to winter beverage in Australia, thanks to the rising trend of solstice celebrations and fireside festivities.
At Flying Fish, it has become a tradition to celebrate the winter solstice by starting the day with a refreshing morning dip in the Indian Ocean, followed by mulled wine around a bonfire.
This mulled wine recipe is a delicious blend of our Margaret River Cabernet Merlot, warm spices, tangy oranges, and a touch of honey.
- 1 bottle of Flying Fish Cove 2016 Cabernet Merlot
- 1/4 cup Cointreau
- 2 star anise
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 2 oranges (sliced, skin removed)
- 4 orange slices (with skin on) for garnish
- 1 tablespoon honey (we use the honey from the onsite hives at the winery)
- In a large saucepan, pour the Cabernet Merlot and add the Cointreau.
- Add the star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and sliced oranges (with skin removed) to the saucepan.
- Stir in the honey.
- Heat the mixture over high heat until it simmers. Avoid boiling to preserve the flavours.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes, allowing the spices and oranges to infuse.
- Get ready for your kitchen to be filled with the aroma of mulled wine.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the mulled wine to remove the spices and orange slices.
- Pour the mulled wine into glasses.
- Serve sifted with a cinnamon stick and fresh orange slice. Sip and enjoy!